About Me

Copenhagen, Denmark
Doing random stuff on my computers and documenting it for future use. Probably not interesting to anybody but meee. lappysaurus: HP Elitebook 2530P. minilan: ASUS Eee PC 901. evillan: Fujitsu Siemens Amilo PRO V3205. mobillan: HTC Hero.

Thursday, November 6, 2008

minilan: Maximizing space in ubuntu-eee 8.04

The laptop came pre-installed with ubuntu-eee 8.04 (originally Xandros Linux). After ten minutes, I got annoyed by the "Netbook Remix"-thing and chose to disable it via System -> Preferences -> Sessions and unticking "Maximus" and "Ume Desktop Launcher." Then I removed the "Window Picker" (the large thingy where the current open window is displayed. Right-click it and there you go). I added the System Monitor, standard Gnome Menu and Window List since I don't want any bottom panel. I also removed Sound and configured the clock. Then I chose "Autohide" in the Properties tab and also changed the colors: from black to transparent. In System -> Preferences -> Appearance, I changed the back ground and the window layout to my favorite black/white. I also changed the color setup in bash to "gray on black."
Then I added a shortcut (Alt+F3 opens a terminal). The eee has four smartkeys ("Instant Keys" in the manual) which are placed over the keyboard. The first two from the left are already predefined (backlight and resolution), while the two other can be set. I tried pressing them all and nothing happened. So they're probably not compatible with ubuntu. Since I only need two smartkeys (firefox and thunderbird), I'm using the two to the right. (taptaptap) Hmm, they're not working at all. That sucks. Anyways.

No comments:

Blog Archive